Tuition Plaza: ONLINE TUTORING
Online Tutoring HomepageHomepage  Quiz QuestionsQuiz  Homework HelpHomework  ForumForum  Active TopicsActive  SearchSearch  HelpHelp
Malaysian EditionMalaysia  ScoreScore  Create QuizCreate  Invite FriendsInvite  Display List of MembersMembers  About UsAbout
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Law & Jurisprudence
 Online Tutoring : Forum : Homework Help - Social Sciences : Law & Jurisprudence
Topic Topic: contract law Post ReplyNew Question
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Alin_noor87

Posted: 25 April 2006 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote Alin_noor87

hi, i hope someone can help me by answering the problem question: 

i hope u can help me by giving me an advice and try to solve my housing problem.

i'm a student, moved into a flat which needed redecoration.(2 months before).My lanlady assistedme to redecorated the flat. i was so grateful for her assistance that i promised to buy her a ticket for my university event. However,when it to to purchase tickets, i could not afford to buy her the ticket.

my landlady was furious and informed me that either i have to buy her the ticket for the event or i will have to agree to pay more renrt for the spring term. i reluctantly agreed to pay more rentfor the spring term, as i was afraid that i would be evicted. i signed a written document to pay more rent to my landlady. However, my student loan was insufficient to pay the additional rent. when i informed my landlady that i did not have money, she felt sorry for me and agreed to accept the original rent. However, she has now changed her mind and is demanding the additional rent.

please give an advice.

Iamatutor99

Posted: 17 January 2007 at 12:38am | IP Logged Quote Iamatutor99

First of all, binding verbal contracts hardly hold up in anything. As for contract law, you bound yourself into a verbal contract (as far as people are concerned), but it is not legally suitable. As far as the law is concerned, you are under no obligation to purchase the ticket for her. She has the right to charge what she wants for rent, but cannot change the rent due to personal feelings, that is not legal. As far as your situation is concerned, you should talk to her; maybe take her out to lunch or something that would be the right thing to do to try to mend this situation. Let me reiterate, you are under no legal circumstances to purchase her the ticket and she cannot simply raise only your rent (but she can raise rent in general).

I hope this helps.  

Back to Top View Iamatutor99's Profile Search for other posts by Iamatutor99

Tutor22897

Posted: 26 January 2007 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote Tutor22897

Hi Alin,

I will certainly try to assist. Just a few questions:

Which legal environment/origin is this pertaining too. English contract- australian contracts?

Is this an exam question?

do you need case law or just advise/pointers

Back to Top View Tutor22897's Profile Search for other posts by Tutor22897

Tutor22897

Posted: 26 January 2007 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote Tutor22897

I must say in general, I do agree with Iamatutor99. Yes you are under no legal obligation to provide her with the tickets. This under normal circumstances, can be a gesture of good faith.

Talking about verbal agreement- her is another pointer- you may want to note that she also verbally agreed not to raise the rent..

Do bare in mind that you have contractually signed a contract agreeing to pay higher rent. We can also consider your defences in this matter. To see if the contract is valid and binding.

Feel free to clarify if need be. if you need more info give us a buzz.

From what i gather you were under under pressure and duress or other undue influence to sign.- this is just a pointer for you.

Back to Top View Tutor22897's Profile Search for other posts by Tutor22897

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyNew Question
Printable version Printable version